Thursday, November 4, 2010

Preparations For The Second Interview

One day when I was sitting in a sofa waiting for my bus in the library, I saw a seem-like Somalis male student sitting by my side waiting for something too. Therefore I decided to approach him. I asked him if he was from Somalia. He said yes.  Then I began to explain him the interview thing and asked if he was willing to be my interviewee. By coincidence, he said at the end of this semester he would be doing a final project for his communication study class which also required him to interview a person from other countries.  And he wanted me to be his interviewee too. Happily we said yes to each other. After that we talked about something else.
He introduced me a little about himself. His name is Yahye Samatar. He has been here since 2006. He lives in St. Cloud by himself and he has a part-time job in Boys and Girls Scott Club. He is majoring in pre-medicine at SCSU.
To make him feel more secure and not worry about the sensitive topics that he thought I might be asking, I told him the goal of my interview which was just to know Somali culture and customs; to find more connections with him, I told him something I knew about Somalia and I also brought up Issa Gure, the first interviewee whom I conducted with and he happened to know. In order to make each other feel more relaxed during the interview we agreed to conduct the interview in Atwood in which there were many quite and comfortable spots. I also told him what types of questions I will be asking and asked him to think about those for a little bit.
Based on the experience on the previous interviews, I went home summed up some interview techniques that could help make a better interview.
Before going the interview, I made sure I had everything for the interview.
At noon, Nov, 3rd, I conducted the interview in Atwood with Yahye.

No comments:

Post a Comment