Thursday, October 28, 2010

Preparations For The First Interview

Due to a great number of Somalis in Minnesota, the goal of my interviews and even my country report is to get to know Somali culutre, such as their customs, foods, family structures, body languages, and those types of thing.

I would will be conducting the interview in the simple way. The main technology I would be using was just a recorder.

For this interview, I came up with 7 main questions and several subsequent questions.

For the interviewees, I would want to start with my friend – Issa Gure who is a Somali. Issa has been here in the United States for almost 5 years. He lives with a couple friends in Sauk Rapids. He went to Apollo High School in St. Cloud. He graducated from there at May, 2009. We took the same class, MME-101, last semester. Therefore, we would have more connections and a long conversation, which, I thought, would help my first interview go smoothly.

Then I contacted him through email. A couple of days later, he replied me back saying he was willing to be my interviewee. So I sent him some types of question I would be asking and let him be prepared. We also made an appointment on when and where we should conduct the interview. 

After finding a interviewee, I began preparing the interview for myself. I went online to do some research on Somalia, mainly about Somali history, geography, culuture, and customs so that I could have some more connections, which may would make him feel liking talking with me, and try to avoid some questions that were inappropriate to ask.  

Before conducting the interview, I borrowed a recorder from another friend of mine. I also brought my loptop just in case.

Finally, the day came, Issa and me met in the cafe in Miller Center. Then we began conducting the interview.  

No comments:

Post a Comment